Hi! My name is Jen. Welcome to my blog! Even though I have been running for several years, I’ve never been an endurance runner. Well, until now. In 2014, I hope to complete my first ultramarathon, a 50k (31 miler). I welcome you to follow along in this journey.
10 Random Things About Me:
1. I’m a wife and stay at home mom to 2 wonderful children.
2. I am addicted to tea. I must have my cup of tea in the morning.
3. I also love chocolate. I’m not picky about the time of day I eat it.
4. I enjoy eating healthy foods. I don’t eat red meat and haven’t since I was 14 years old.
5. I was a teacher before having my own children.
6. I lived in Spain for a year and had a blast traveling through Europe.
7. I pretty much live in running shoes. I don’t know how women wear heels.
8. I love the outdoors: kayaking, hiking, riding bikes, running, swimming, etc.
9. I’m a huge planner, but over the years, I have learned that you can’t always plan life.
10. I’m addicted to running. It’s a big part of my life.
My Running Experience:
I’ve been running off and on for about 25+ years and I’d love to be able to run for at least another 25+ years. Running has been a big part of my life.
I started running when I was 14 years old. I remember that I didn’t even have my own pair of running shoes and I used to borrow my friend’s shoes. After being recruited to the cross country team, I fell in love with running. It was something to do after school, it was fun and I had some natural talent. In addition, it was a great stress reliever. During high school I competed in both cross country and track.
I then took a break from racing during college even though I continued to run. Starting my career didn’t leave me with too much time to run or race. However, every once in awhile Mark and I would show up at a local race. As a teacher, I enjoyed my vacations and I enjoyed finding time to run. After having my first child, I decided to start running again. I spent many days pushing my jog stroller. I first pushed a single jog stroller and then a double jog stroller. Let me tell you, pushing a double jog stroller up some of these hills is no easy task!
It wasn’t until 2009 that I started training hard and racing once again. I remember feeling rejuvenated after that first race. Time wise, I didn’t do that well. But for my first race post children, I was excited to place top ten! Since then, I have participated in several races and events.
After all of these years, one thing remains the same. I love running! It’s like a puzzle. Each run, each race, each experience is just a piece. I’m trying to fit them all together and be the best that I can be while staying injury free.